Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse
The Port of Genesee was established by President Thomas Jefferson in 1804. The port district stretched approximately 70 miles along Lake Ontario's south shore, from Oak Orchard to Sodus Bay, New York. The port's center was where the north flowing Genesee River met Lake Ontario, a marshy bay guarded by two sand bars. President Jefferson appointed Samuel Latta to be Collector of Customs. In the first year he gathered $22.50 in revenue compared to expenses of $24.00. From that small beginning, the port would grow to be one of the busiest on the south shore of Lake Ontario.
- Read more about Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse
- Log in to post comments