The Second Minots Ledge Lighthouse

Since storms never cease driving ships on conveninet rocks, the need for at least a temporary light to mark the rocks of Cohasset was clearly indicated. Until a new, permanent tower could be constructed, the government stationed a lightship off Minots Ledge. When the storm of 1851 subsided, the steam tugboat R. B. Forbes was fitted with a temporary illuminant and anchored half a mile north of the Outer Minot in 15 fathoms of water [90 feet] to serve as a lightship. On April 20 another gale blew up of such intensity that the temporary lightship was forced to withdraw into Boston Harbor. Obviously, the temporary lightship had to be more substantial to maintain a station off Minots Ledge.