The Depot
Since the establishment of the first lighthouse at Boston Harbor's Little Brewster Island in 1716, lighthouses have needed supplies. Our first lighthouse keeper, George Worthylake, ferried his supplies to Boston Lighthouse via rowboat. But as the service grew and the number of light stations increased, more than rowboats were needed. The materials the government furnished light stations and the means of furnishing them varied over the years. Until 1852, lighthouses were a collateral duty of the local Collector of Customs.
- Read more about The Depot
- Log in to post comments