The first lighted aid to navigation in Alaska appears to have been established in 1805 by the Russians on a small island in Sitka Harbor (see Dee Longenbaugh's story in this issue). In later years (1830's) a light was placed in the cupola of their governor's mansion (Baranofs Castle) in Sitka. It was a crude optic consisting of four copper cans with solid wicks, fueled by whale or seal oil. The large reflector was placed behind the burning wicks.
After we purchased Alaska the Baranof "light" was maintained, by agreement with the Army garrison at Sitka, by Ordinance Sergeant George Golkell who received 40 cents a day for his labor. When the Army departed Alaska in 1877, so too did Sergeant Golkell and the light was extinguishecl. It would be twenty years before the Lighthouse Board established another light at Sitka.
- Log in to post comments