In 1852, when the Lighthouse Board was established, a naval officer was placed in charge of each lighthouse district. He was assisted by an Army Corps of Engineer officer. In 1910 the Bureau of Lighthouses replaced the Lighthouse Board. In 1912 the Bureau replaced the military officers with civilians, except for the three Western River districts which remained under the charge of an Army Corps of Engineer officer until 1933. In that year they were combined into one district and placed under the control of a civilian.
File
TheInspector_Summer_1999.pdf
(5.09 MB)
- Log in to post comments