Since the establishment of the first lighthouse at Boston Harbor's Little Brewster Island in 1716, lighthouses have needed supplies. Our first lighthouse keeper, George Worthylake, ferried his supplies to Boston Lighthouse via rowboat. But as the service grew and the number of light stations increased, more than rowboats were needed. The materials the government furnished light stations and the means of furnishing them varied over the years. Until 1852, lighthouses were a collateral duty of the local Collector of Customs. It was his duty to authorize contracts for constructing light stations, repairing existing stations, and providing supplies. It was also his duty to ensure the stations were up to snuff through routine inspections. However, federal investigations of our lighthouse service in the 1830's, 40's and early 50's revealed that many stations were in poor condition, not properly maintained or operated and lacked necessary supplies.
- Log in to post comments