On March 3, 1831 Congress appropriated $1,500 to construct a lighthouse at the mouth of Mispillion Creek. That same year the Superintendent of Lighthouses for the State of Delaware, Henry Whiteley, entered into a contract with Winslow Lewis, of Boston, to construct the lighthouse which was a dwelling (22-by-16 feet) surmounted by an octagonal tower and iron lantern equipped with six lamps and six 9-inch reflectors. The contractor was also to furnish a spare lamp, two tin oil canisters, one gallon measure, three wick formers, a stove, one pair ofscissors and one file. The contract was to be completed by October 20, 1831. The superintendent signed off on the contract on
October 19, one day early.
- Log in to post comments