Purchase Tickets Here
2023 Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse Tours
no open toed shoes or sandals permitted
- As a safty precaution, no one wearing open toed shoes, sandals, flipflops, etc. will be allowed on the tour.
- Please be aware that the TPSL tour is considered an Adventure Tour. There are vertical steps and strenuous activity. Your health and safety are of paramount concern. Please be sure you are physically capable of such activity before booking the tour.
NO PETS/SERVICE ANIMALS
- There are vertical steps and limited space on the lighthouse. As a result, we are unable to accommodate service animals and/or pets. If you have an animal when you arrive at the registration table, you will not be allowed to board the boat and take the tour.
- For the safety of our guests, no one under the age of 12 or shorter than 48” is allowed on the tour. This rule will be strongly enforced. Please take note of this before booking your tour.
Please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time
- We do our best to depart on time for each tour, please do your best to allow for this extra time when planning your trip.
- Special tours and corporate retreats/events are now available during the week. Please contact us if you are interested in planning an event.
In the event you are turned away, your tour fee will be refunded
Tours depart from Annapolis, Maryland. The specific dock is located at waters edge behind the Annapolis Maritime Museum located at 723 2nd St Annapolis, MD 21403. The vessel will be docked at the closest pier to the Horn Point Marina. In the extremely rare occasion that the cruise is cancelled due to weather or any other reason, then you will have the choice to receive a credit voucher for a future cruise or a refund. All money collected helps support the preservation of the lighthouse. Registration is on a first come first serve basis, so get your name in early!
Come see our lighthouse and the great work that the Chesapeake Chapter volunteers of the U.S. Lighthouse Society are doing to preserve this national treasure we all share!
Articles about the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse experience
- 2021 August - WBAL TV - Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse featured on new series of USPS Forever Stamps
- 2020 October - Capital Gazzette - Jimmy Buffet visits and sings at the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
- 2020 August - Video Link - Chesapeake Bay Magazine - Renovations at Thomas Point Lighthouse to Last Another 40 Years
- The following two audio files are local radio announcements about completing the current restoration project - 2020
- 2020 January - Soundings Magazine - Saving a Screwpile
- 2019 August - Maryland Matters - Supporters of Historic Lighthouse in the Bay Seek Community’s Support
- 2019 August - ABC 2 WMAR Baltimore - A beacon of light on the Bay - A tour of the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
- 2019 August - Capital Gazette - Chesapeake's historic Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse in need of repairs, funding to fix corroding steel
- 2019 August - WTOP - A Chesapeake Bay lighthouse is in trouble, but you can help
- 2019 June - WNAV Radio Story on FaceBook
- 2018 July - Bay Journal - Thomas Point a beacon for mariners & historians alike
- 2017 June - Capital Gazette - Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse depends on volunteers, retirees to preserve its history
- 2015 October - "A Guiding Light" - John White, the first black man in command of a Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse returns for a tour and memories
- 2014 July - Chesapeake Bay Magazine - Restoring a Bay Icon
- 2014 July - Eye On AnnapolisVisit the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse for a unique perspective on the Bay
- 2014 July - Capital Gazette - Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse kicks off summer tours
- 2014 October - Annapolis Creative - Mornings in Annapolis - A Visit to Thomas Point Lighthouse
- Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse Restoration Presidential Commendation - We are privileged to report that the U. S. Lighthouse Society and our Chesapeake Chapter were chosen to receive the Preserve America Steward Award, during the Society’s 25th anniversary year. The official letter from the White House designating us as a recipient was signed by Mrs. Bush on January 12, 2009
- Thomas Point Shoal Article - Learn more about the history of the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse in this article from our own Keeper's Log Magazine
Here a video made in 2021 - which is a narrated tour of Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
The following is a video on Bob Stevenson, one of our loyal volunteers at the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
The much anticipated public tours of this National Historic Landmark and icon of the Chesapeake Bay are here! Now's your chance to tour the inside of this historic structure! You’ve seen it in pictures, viewed it from shore, maybe boated right by it. Now tour the interior of one of the most photographed lighthouses in the United States, Thomas Point Shoal. You will be guided by one of our experienced lighthouse docents and learn the history of the light, the life of a keeper in the early days and the role of our modern-day Coast Guard. Built in 1875 and now a National Historic Landmark, Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse is the last "intact" lighthouse of its kind left in its original location.
Historic Tour Features
- Learn about how lighthouse keepers lived
- Learn about other lighthouses on the Bay and how many met their demise
- Learn how the U.S. Lighthouse Society is restoring and preserving this lighthouse
Purchase Tickets for our 2023 Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse Tours
The duration of the tour is 2 hours and includes a 30 minute boat ride to the lighthouse, a docent led tour of the interior, and a 30 minute return boat ride. Tours depart from Annapolis, Maryland. The specific dock is located at waters edge behind the Annapolis Maritime Museum located at 723 2nd St Annapolis, MD 21403. The vessel will be docked at the closest pier to the Horn Point Marina.
Two tours are offered each day. One at 9:30 am and the other one at 12:00 pm
Seating is limited, so secure your space early. Tickets are available on our Tour Calendar page.
If you have questions, please contact: U.S. Lighthouse Society headquarters at (415) 362-7255 or email email@example.com
Cost: $90 Per Person
Viewing the following safety video is require for everyone that will be visiting the lighthouse on one of our tours.
Historical VideosBelow are two additional videos about the history of the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse!
"Legacy of the Light" - A 13 minute short film about the history of the Thomas Point Shoal Light Station.
News Reel Video: a fascinating news reel made in 1986 documenting the automation of the lighthouse and the final transfer home of the last lighthouse keeper.
Check out the U.S. Lighthouse Society's Podcast featuring the Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse
Light Hearted episode 39 – John Potvin, Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse, Maryland
In this episode of Light Hearted, host Jeremy D’Entremont and co-host Michelle Jewell Shaw also look at the origins and history of screwpile lighthouses, which were developed by the Irish engineer Alexander Mitchell. In addition is an interesting interview John Potvin our preservation foreman who is actively involved in the bidding and specification preparation for the rehabilitation of the lighthouse.