USLHS Emergency Relief Grants
The USLHS Preservation Grants Program directs our 2020 grants to 24 lighthouses struggling, due to Covid19.
These are tough times, for all of us. The financial hardship caused by this pandemic has slowed travel and tourism, making it so much harder for lighthouse groups dependent on gate receipts for most of their operating budgets – to share the legacy of the lights they work to preserve.
Since its inception, the United States Lighthouse Society lighthouse preservation grant program has awarded funds to many not-for-profit lighthouse organizations across the nation, all designed to help restore or preserve the lights we all love – what is commonly referred to as “bricks and mortar” projects. This year, in light of Coronavirus, we took a new direction and awarded grants to help preserve lighthouse organizations themselves with emergency relief grants similar to what the Federal government has done for all the citizens of the US.
We are pleased to announce that the Society has made 24 grants to help ease the financial stress on lighthouse preservation groups that need financial help and encouragement, to see these tough times through.
The list of the awardees is as follows:
- Absecon Lighthouse
- Cape San Blas Lighthouse, St. Joseph Historical Society Inc.
- Crisp Point Light Historical Society
- Currituck Beach Lighthouse
- Dunkirk Lighthouse & Veterans Park Museum
- Gasparilla Island Lighthouse, Barrier Island Parks Society Inc.
- Grand Traverse Lighthouse Museum
- Kilauea Point Lighthouse, Friends of Kaua’i Wildlife Refuges
- Marshall Point Lighthouse and Museum
- New Dungeness Light Station Association
- Friends of Nobska Light
- Old Baldy Foundation, Inc.
- Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, Preservation Virginia
- Piedras Blancas Light Station Association
- Presque Isle Light Station
- Friends of Plum Island Light
- Race Rock Lighthouse, New London Maritime Society
- Rose Island Lighthouse
- Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy
- Seul Choix Pointe Lighthouse, Gulliver Historical Society Inc.
- Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum
- Staten Island Rear Range Lighthouse, National Lighthouse Museum
- Whitefish Point Lighthouse, Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society
- White Shoal Light Historical Preservation Society