Brittany & the Channel Islands
Jul 12, 2018 to Jul 29, 2018
Arrival date & welcome dinner in Nantes - July 12, 2018. Farewell dinner - July 28. Flights home from Nantes - July 29.
Brittany, the region occupying the rugged western tip of France, is surrounded on three sides by a long and varied coastline. There are rugged cliffs dotted with lighthouses, wide estuaries, islands and picturesque harbors with strong maritime traditions. Combine this area with the Channel Islands lying off the coast of Normandy and you have the makings for a once in a lifetime Society lighthouse tour. Beginning with a climb of Le Grand Phare on Île d'Yeu, our tour will follow the coastline around the peninsula until we reach the walled city of St. Malo. Along the way we will visit and climb numerous mainland and island lighthouses including Phare du Goulphar, Grand Phare d'Eckmühl, Île de Sein, Phare de Saint Mathieu and Île Vierge, the tallest traditional lighthouse in the world (271 feet). Taking a break from lighthouses we will visit several museums, view Les Aiguilles (needles) de Port Coton made famous in paintings by Monet and walk the streets of the stunning and sacred village of Locronan. Upon reaching St. Malo, we will board a ferry to take us to the Channel Island where we will absorb the history and culture of Jersey and Guernsey as well as visit more lighthouses including La Corbiere Point, Sark and Les Hanois. Other stops on these islands will be at the maritime museum, WWII defense works and Mont Orgueil Castle. Returning to the mainland we will spend some time in Rennes (Saint Yves Chapel and the Portes Mordelaises) before a final tour of the Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne in our original starting city of Nantes. All in all; this is going to be a très bien lighthouse trip to remember.
*This tour currently has a waiting list. If you would like to be added to the list, please let us know.
Phone: 415-362-7255 or
July 12 - Arrive Nantes (Welcome Dinner) Mercure Nantes Centre Grand Hotel
July 13 - Saint Nazaire Holiday Inn Express
July 14 - Vannes Best Western Place de la Liberation
July 15 - Lorient Mercure Lorient Centre
July 16 & 17 - Quimper Oceania Quimper
July 18 - 22 - Brest Oceania Brest Centre
July 23 & 24 - Jersey The Savoy Jersey, St Helier
July 25 & 26 - Guernsey Duke of Richmond Hotel, St. Peter Port
July 27 - Saint Malo Mercure Saint Malo Front de Mer
July 28 - Nantes (Farewell dinner) Mercure Nantes Centre Grand Hotel
July 29 - Flights Home
- July 13: Port-Joinville Jetée du Nord-Ouest, Port-Joinville (Port-Breton) Quai du Canada, Port-Joinville Rear (Petit Phare Rue des Maries), Île d'Yeu (Grand Phare, "La Petite Foule"), Pointe des Corbeaux
- July 14: Saint-Nazaire Harbor Lighthouses (East Jetty, West Jetty and Old Breakwater), Kerlede, Tour du Commerce
- July 15: Le Palais Môle du Nord & Le Palais Môle du, Goulphar (Grand Phare de Belle-Île), Sauzon
- July 16: Phare de Kerbel, Phare de Poulfanc, Pointe du Coq, La Pyramide, Pointe de Combrit, Penmarch Lighthouses (3) - Phare d'Eckmühl
- July 17: Île de Sein Phare de Goulenez, Men-Brial
- July 18: Pointe du Raz, Offshore views from Pointe du Raz (hopefully) of La Vieille, La Plate (Petite Vieille) and distant views of Feu de la Plate, Tévennec, Île de Sein and Ar-Men lighthouses. Scarweather Lightship
- July 19: Saint-Mathieu, Saint-Mathieu Feu Auxiliaire, Trézien
- July 20: Roscoff, Ile de Batz. Private cruise of Bay of Morlaix to view: Ar Chaden, Men-Guen-Bras, Île Louët, La Lande and Île Noire lighthouses
- July 21: Ile Vierge, Île Wrac'h
- July 22: Pointe du Portzic & Pointe du Petit Minou, Kermorvan, Les Pierres Noire and Les Trois (Île-Molène), Créac'h lighthouse and museum, Le Stiff. Offshore view of La Jument from Pointe de Porz Doun,(weather permitting)Pierres
- July 23: Cap Frehel, La Balue Rear, St.-Malo Môle des Noires, Grand Jardin, Les Courtis
- July 24: Noirmont Point, La Corbiere Point, Sorel Point, St. Catherine’s Breakwater
- July 25: Victoria Marina, White rock Pier, Castle Breakwater
- July 26: Sark
- July 27: Les Hanois, St. Sampson SouthPier, Crocq Pierhead
- July 28: Rochebonne
Credit Card Payments:
If you would like to pay for the tour with your credit card, here are the prices:
Single: $6,129 Double (per person): $5,099
17 Buffet breakfasts, 2 lunches and 16 dinners (3 course meals, excl. drinks)
All accommations at 3/4 star hotels
All transportation including long distance coach, scheduled ferries and private boat charters
Entrance fees to all open lighthouses
Entrance fees to museums and other schedule attractions
Porterage fees when necessary
Want more Details?
Contact Headquarters: (415)362-7255 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Email this tour to your friend, and add your "Let's Go" message!
Download a Tour Registration form (PDF) Complete and mail your check to USLHS, 9005 Point No Point Rd NE, Hansville, WA 98340.