On the east side of Washington’s Puget Sound, Mukilteo grew as a port in the late 1800s, with salmon canning and lumber as leading industries. Funds were appropriated by Congress for a lighthouse at Mukilteo in 1903, and construction began in 1905. A 30-foot tower was built, attached to a fog signal building, with two large, separate dwellings for the keepers and their families. The station began service on March 1, 1906.
The Mukilteo Historical Society now manages the light station. Joanne Mulloy is the president of the Mukilteo Historical Society, and Jerry Arnold is on the Society’s board of directors.