Baker Island Light Station

Maine’s Baker Island is about four miles southeast of the much larger Mount Desert Island. A lighthouse was established on the highest point of the island in 1828. The original tower was replaced in 1855 by the 43-foot-tall cylindrical brick tower that still stands today. The keeper’s house has been unoccupied since the light was automated in 1957. 

Baker Island Light Station is now owned by the National Park Service as part of Acadia National Park, and there are ranger-led tours of the island in the summer. Keepers of Baker Island is a nonprofit that was formed to support the National Park Service with the care and upkeep of the island’s natural and cultural landscape. Cornelia Cesari, the guest in this episode, is an island resident and the president of the board of directors of Keepers of Baker Island. Cornelia is also the author of the book "Baker Island," released in 2018 by Arcadia Publishing.

Submitted by nelights on