L to R: Karolyn Burdick, Susan Heiny, and Sarah Winter.

In 1905, a fog signal was established at Slip Point at the east end of Clallam Bay, Washington, on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  A lantern was hung on the fog signal building to provide a navigational light until another appropriation paid for the addition of a lighthouse tower in 1916. The square, wooden tower was attached to the west side of the fog signal building. In 1951, Slip Point Lighthouse was replaced by a modern tower. Local resident Susan Heiny and her daughter Sarah Winter Grafstrom have formed a group called the Slip Point Lighthouse Keepers to work with the county to preserve the keepers’ house and its history. Also taking part in this interview is Karolyn Burdick, the group’s historian. 

Also featured in this episode are circa 1990 audio recordings of Harold Jennings, son of the light keeper of the Lovells Island Range Light Station in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts.

Submitted by nelights on