Goals of the Lighthouse Passport Program
1. Provide a vehicle for participating locations to obtain donations to continue their preservation, restoration and educational efforts. To this end, we suggest a minimum donation of $2 for each stamp you receive.
2. Act as a fun way to chronical lighthouse visits and learn more about the important role they have played in American maritime history.
Passport entries/stamps that qualify for Passport Achievement Awards
Stamps for the USLHS Passport Program are primarily available for lighthouses. However, stamps for USCG stations or vessels, life-saving stations, maritime museums and Fresnel lenses are also part of the program. Any reference to “lighthouses” in our policies includes all of these types of locations. 60 different entries (photos or stamps) in a passport are required for an award level. An entry in one passport cannot be duplicated in another passport submitted for a different award. Only passports with all stamps qualify for the All Stamp Flag.
1. Any stamp listed on the USLHS Passport Club website: USLHS Passport Program. You may also include a stamp obtained from the same location if it has:
(a) An image and name of the lighthouse.
(b) Only an image and you write the name under the stamp and indicate where you obtained it.
2. A photo you took of a listed lighthouse.
3. Special series stamps issued by USLHS (e.g. Lost Lights Series and Holiday Ornament Series), Society tour stamps and Passport Club and Society Membership stamps (yearly).
*Entries that are not acceptable
1. Photos of international lighthouses that are not listed.
2. National Park cancellation stamps. These are part of a separate program sponsored by the National Park Service.
3. Lighthouse stamps obtained from a location not listed on the website.
4. Stickers, unless otherwise noted.
*You may leave non qualifying stamps in your passport but it will be necessary to include additional stamps in order to achieve the 60 entries required for awards.
Participating location hours/days of opening
Many participating locations are only open seasonally. In addition, the days and hours of the week they are open may be limited by the availability of volunteers. It is strongly suggested that you call or check the location’s website to determine their current hours.
Obtaining stamp images via mail
Some locations are willing to provide you with a copy of their stamp by mail. The locations willing to provide this service are clearly identified on the Detailed List of Participating Lighthouses available to Society Members (password required). This service is NOT available from all locations and only requests sent to the correct address will be fulfilled. Other requirements normally include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and a donation (suggested amount $2) for each stamp requested. Some locations may require more proof of your visit (e.g. a photo).
Stamps available on Lighthouse Cruises & Excursions
Some stamps are available from companies that provide cruises or excursions to one or more lighthouses. Most require that you participate in the cruise in order to obtain the stamp. In many cases a stamp with a different design for the same lighthouses is available at another location.
Obtaining your achievement awards (Patches, Wings & All Stamp Flags)
In order to obtain your achievement awards and be listed in our Hall of Fame, each Passport must contain 60 acceptable entries. If you are not able to fit four stamps on each page, use the blank pages in the back of the book to complete this requirement. Scan or take photos of your Passport pages and send them in an email for verification to: email@example.com. Do not mail the Passport to our office. Once verified, if you are a member of the Society, your patches and a certificate of completion will be sent to you. If you are not a member of the Society, you will receive an email providing information about how to purchase your patches from the Society’s on line store. Note: If you have any questions regarding your completed passport or the status of your award request, please do not call the office. Send your inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org