Group photo Tinicum Lighthouse
View of Philadelphia from the top of the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
DCB Aero Beacon at the top of the Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse
East Point Lighthouse
Leaman and Sylvia at the East Point Lighthouse
Lee and her daughter Susan at the East Point Lighthouse
Ron and Carol on the Delaware Bay cruise
Fourteen Foot Bank Lighthouse - the first caisson style lighthouse built in the United States. Note the lighthouse keeper's privy to the left on the lower deck
Tour group bundled up on Delaware Bay cruise
Irene and Shirley on the Delaware Bay Cruise
Skip and Mary Lee check out a photo they just took of the Miah Maull Shoal Lighthouse on the Delaware Bay cruise
Society members line up to photograph Ship John Shoal Lighthouse on the Delaware Bay cruise
Dinner at our hotel in Cape May - The Montreal Inn
USLHS group heads to Cape May Lighthouse for a tour. Established in 1859, the 157 foot brick tower proved a challenging climb
USLHS members buying gifts in the Cape May shop set up in their historic oil house.
4th order clam shell Fresnel lens on display at the base of the Cape May lighthouse. The optic's origin and where it served prior to being relocated to Cape May by the US Coast Guard is unkown
Stairway detail at the top of the Cape May Lighthouse - excellent restoration and attention to detail
DCB Aero Beacon currently installed at the top of the Cape May Lighthouse
Ron, a USLHS member (left) gives a Cape May volunteer some information about the Cape May light at the top
View from the top of the Cape May Lighthouse
Wendell, the group's bus driver, is happy to have made it all the way to the top of Cape May
An example of interesting bird houses installed in the park area adjacent to the Cape May lighthouse
USLHS group makes their way inside the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse. Established in 1874, this "Swiss Gothic" light resembles Point Fermin in Southern CA. Surrounding the lighthouse are extensive gardens
4th Order Fresnel Lens on display inside the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
Keeper's bedroom recreated at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
Lifesaving vessel located at the rear of the garden area at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
Members take a shady siesta at the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
Tony and Carol have a great seat for the cruise around Atlantic City
Jeanine enjoying a quiet moment on the Atlantic City cruise
Absecon Lighthouse from the water. Established in 1857, the tower is now privately owned and maintained. Standing at 169 feet, it is a sibling of the Barnegat light, and one of the first tall brick towers built by the Lighthouse Board. However, even at 167 feet, the Absecon Lighthouse is dwarfed by the highrise casino/hotels which now dominate the skyline
Members photographing the Atlantic City skyline from the chartered vessel
An interesting view of the Absecon Lighthouse
Members waiting to climb to the top of the Absecon Light
Unusual air vent at the top of the Absecon Lighthouse
View of the Atlantic City skyline from the top of the Absecon Lighthouse
Descriptive name plate for the fixed 1st order Fresnel Lens at the top of the Absecon Lighthouse
The First Order Fresnel Lens located at the top of the Absecon Lighthouse
Interesting detail photo of the 1st Order Fresnel Lens at the top of the Absecon Lighthouse. Note the upside-down reflection of the coastline in the center prism
Part of the Society's hotel in Atlantic City - the Taj Mahal
The famous Atlantic City Pier
From right to left - Yvonne, Jeff, and Marti. Yvonne and Marti are with the New Jersey Lighthouse Society and visited with Jeff over a wonderful buffet dinner at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. All of us look forward to working together more in the future
The USLHS group enjoys a sit down breakfast at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City
A beautiful day at the Barnegat Lighthouse (Old Barney). Established in 1859, it was the tallest lighthouse when it was built, standing at 172 feet
Toni checking to see if it is time to go . . . keeping the USLHS group on schedule
Plaque and Statue for General George Meade
At the Barnegat Lighthouse (Old Barney)
The First Order Fresnel lens that once was at the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse is now located in a nearby former schoolhouse along with other local historic pieces. USLHS members took advantage of the opportunity to photograph the optic since the building was opened especially for the group
Detail view of the bull's-eyes on the 1st Order Fresnel Lens which used to be located at the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse
Years after the 1st order lens was decommissioned and relocated, a fisherman found the original makers plate and donated it to the Schoolhouse Museum. It now is displayed in front of the lens
The Sea Girt Lighthouse sits next to a row of normal houses in a beautiful beach community. Established in 1896, this lighthouse has been lovingly restored in and out by the Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee. The lighthouse is similar in design to Round Island, MI and Two Harbors, MN
Lovely boardwalk across the street fromt the Sea Girt Lighthouse
Interior view of the Sea Girt Lighthouse - the keeper's parlor. The attention to detail in this room is remarkable, and is carried on throughout the interior of the lighthouse
Volunteers at the Sea Girt Lighthouse from Left to Right - Conrad, Bill and Art (Pres.)
The Navesink Light Station was established in 1862, and is a very beautiful and unusual brownstone building. The structure encompasses two towers connected by a long two story keeper's dwelling. The South tower has been decommissioned, while the North tower is still active with the use of a fixed 6th order Fresnel lens, the origin of which is unknown
1st Order Lens that was once installed at the top of Navesink, is now on display in the station's historic machine shop. This "bi-valve" first order is a very rare and priceless lens
Detail of the 1st Order Fresnel lens on display at the Navesink Light Station
The 1st Order Fresnel Lens as it appears inside the Navesink Light Station's historic machine shop
USLHS members taking photos of the 1st Order Fresnel Lens at the Navesink Light Station
Restricted access to the Navesink North Tower only allowed a photograph of the 6th Order Fresnel lens there through a metal grate. Nobody knows the origin of this fixed lens that now is the only beacon seen at Navesink
A distant view of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse from the top of the North tower at the Navesink Light Station
Skip and Marylee, USLHS members, at the top of the South tower at the Navesink Lighthouse (photographed from the top of the North Tower)
Window detail at the Navesink Light Station
The Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Established 1764, Sandy Hook is the oldest U.S. lighthouse still active. This light station is designated a national historic landmark, and is in a wonderful state of preservation due to the efforts of the New Jersey Lighthouse Society, National Park Service and the National Gateway Recreation Aera
Cindy and Al of the New Jersey Lighthouse Society in the gift shop at Sandy Hook
USLHS members photographed from the top of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse
Partial view of the fixed 3rd Order Fresnel Lens installed at the top of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse
Detail view of one of the tower windows at the Sandy Hook Light Station. Note the extreme thickness of the walls
USLHS members board a New York Water Taxi for their chartered cruise of lighthouses of New York Harbor
USLHS members on the New York Harbor cruise enjoying a view of the Statue of Liberty
The Coney Island Lighthouse as seen from the Society's New York Harbor Cruise
Mike, our tour guide on the New York Harbor Cruise
USLHS members line up to photograph the Robbins Reef Lighthouse, one of the first stops on the New York Harbor Cruise. Established in 1883, this light is often times referred to as "Kate's Light" after Kate Walker (1846-1931), its legendary keeper, who tended the light from 1894 through 1919.
Sandy Hook Lighthouse from the Society's chartered vessel during the New York Harbor Cruise.
The Statue of Liberty, established in 1886, was originally designed as a lighthouse with the torch of the statue acting as the navigational beacon.
The Ambrose Lightship (LV-87) is dwarfed by the city skyline of Manhattan. Built in 1907, this two masted, steel ship, is 113 feet long and served at the Ambrose Station until 1933 at which point it was moved to the Scotland Station off Sandy Hook. Decommissioned in 1967, the ship has been moored at the South Street Seaport since 1968.
The Lightship Tender "Lilac"
The Lightship "Frying Pan" (LV-115) was built in 1913, and decommissioned in 1965. It is a 650 ton steel ship, originally with two masts, with a length of 133 feet. The ship served off Frying Pan shoals, Wilmington, NC and off the Delaware Cape.
Jeffrey's Hook Lighthouse was built in 1880 and originally was located at Sandy Hook Point, NJ - relocated to its present site in 1921. The lighthouse was made famous by a children's book called "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge" (1942). The lighthouse is located in the shadow of the George Washington Bridge.
The Three Flashers
The Staten Island Lighthouse was established in 1912, and features a continuous white light projected through a very unusual Chance Brothers Fresnel Lens - 2nd Order. This tower was one of the last brick lighthouses built by the US Lighthouse Board, and features many interesting architectural details.
USLHS members making their way to the top of the Staten Island Lighthouse
The fixed Chance Brothers 2nd Order Fresnel Lens which is located at the top of the Staten Island Lighthouse
The Staten Island Lighthouse and keeper's quarters to the left. The keeper's quarters is now a private residence.
The Elm Tree or Swash Channel Front Range Light has been inactive since 1922. This sterile brick tower replaced a smaller wooden tower. The name "Elm Tree" comes from when Dutch sailors navigated with the use of a giant Elm Tree at the site. The name stuck.
The light at Fort Wadsworth was established in 1903, photographed here with the city of Manhattan in the background. The light was reactivated in 2005
Back To Tour Photos Page